Remember me on login

Any suggestions for the improvement of the site can be posted here.
Xception

Remember me on login

Post by Xception »

I've always been a fan of the remember me checkbox, especially for when I know I'll be online working for a long time. That way I can pop back between tasks and check for replies to my threads, or new threads for me to reply to. Is there a reason why we aren't able to stay logged in here?

SHAdmin

Re: Remember me on login

Post by SHAdmin »

I know you'll feel we are playing too defencive... but yet again the reason is spamming.

There was a time when we limited number of posts per day instead of time between posts... and that time, people would leave a bot to do just that! It would be a 100 posts in a category by the time a moderator wakes up in the morning!
Xception

Post by Xception »

Those buggers! I hate that.

Have you ever tried captcha being required for each post?
I know the spam bot makers have anti-captcha too, but I found it seemed to work pretty good.

Maybe for the login topic - an oauth protocol might meet both needs, allowing users to sign in with one **** from their Google, Facebook or other major account?
SHAdmin

Post by SHAdmin »

Unfortunately PHPbb still doesn't provide captcha per post.

Have thought about the oAuth integration, but would rather keep PHPbb registration only, so in future, we can integrate it with cPanel directly.
Xception

Post by Xception »

Yeah, that's a tough one.
If I think of, or come across anything that might work I'll let you know.